Pages

Sunday, May 19

Freedom is Overrated


I'm sorry for the lack of posts, but last week we moved into our new home and things have been pretty crazy! I did, however, get the chance to speak with a dear friend of mine that I met 2 years ago while volunteering at Covenant Woods nursing home. At 94 "Mrs. W" is a woman of strong faith and we bonded over shared concern for today's youth and politics in general. After I went away to college last fall we only spoke every few months and I didn't bring up the fact that I was leaving college and coming home. But the other day I had to 'break the news' to her and in the process gave my typical spiel about God leading me home to serve my family. Most adverse 'reactions' to my lifestyle come from non-Christians, but Mrs. W is the first woman of strong faith to clearly, openly, and honestly object to my decisions. The following are her (quoted) objections and my responses to them:


"God doesn't work in young people." "You're too young to know what God wants you to do."

  • All of the disciples (except Peter) were under the age of 20.  
  • The Virgin Mary was a teenager. 
  • "Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” Are children 'too young' to be saved?! If so, where do we draw the line?
  • God isn't picky- young, old, male, female, Greek, Jew. Romans 2:11 "For God shows no partiality"
  • How can anyone say to another where God speaks to them: "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand."
  • We shouldn't be ashamed of the Gospel. "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek."
"Your parents don't need you- they wan't you to be free." "You need to be with other young people."

  • I"m not married, therefore I"m yoked to Christ (first) and family. "And he said, 'This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.'
  • Whether I'm 'free' or not "whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
  • Freedom is overrated! Submitting to the Lord not only glorifies Him, but brings me greater joy than I could ever experience being 'free.' 
  • "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you...Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up."
  • "Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God."
  • I maintain my friendships with peers, but it's my belief that I can learn great things from those with more life experience. Anyway, my best friend is 86 and my closest friends are at least a year younger than me. Since when does age matter?!

And of course, my favorite verse of all time, Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, said the Lord, plans for welfare and not evil, to give you a future and hope."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!