Pages

Wednesday, August 7

10 Ways to Preserve Family Memories


As an only child with 3 grandmothers I probably had more pictures taken of myself by age 5 than the royal baby. Ignoring the ridiculousness of how media has produced a self-absorbed, vain generation, it is enjoyable to look back on all the memories. That being said, with all the business of everyday life it can be challenging to effectively preserve the "you won't believe what Timmy said today" moments. Come next month, you probably won't remember what Timmy said. Here are 10 ways to preserve family memories for 5, 10, or 50 years down the road.

1) Interview your child every year at the same place or date. There's a picture of me every year waiting for the bus on the first day of school.

2) Write a daily travel log when you take trips. My mother (forced) me to do this on our many trips. After visiting 13 countries over the years, I have to admit it's nice being able to looks back to see what we say on what day.


3) Dedicate a "guest book" in your home for any visitors to sign and comment. Look back in 30 years and see who all visited!

4) Interview your child on the birthday. Favorite color? Toy? Saying?

5) Scan your children's artwork. This eliminates the "throw it out or throw it in the attic" question.

6) Keep the camcorder out and ready to go! You won't use it if it's tucked away in the closet.

7) Write a letter to each child on their birthday. What a beautiful gift one day!

8) Keep a box or bin to store mementos. I throw in newspaper clippings, cards, ticket stubs, etc.

9) Print those pictures! Even if it's just one family picture every year. Your children will want something to show their future spouse, friends, and grandkids one day.

10) Develop a "on this date" page for the birth of each child. How much did gas cost? A gallon of milk? What was the hit song?

5 comments:

  1. Love these ideas. Especially the guest book and scanning the artwork. Why didn't I think of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some great suggestions. I need to be better about having the camcorder ready to go to record those everyday moments.
    I keep a memory journal for each of my children where I have recorded milestones of my pregnancies with them, and written them personal letters as they grow. I wrote about it here:
    http://creativehomekeeper.com/keeping-a-memory-journal-for-your-children/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea. What a gift to have for your children and grandchildren one day. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all good ideas especially when we live in such a busy time that it would be easy to neglect mementos. Thanks for linking this post up on WholeHearted Wednesdays. You are such a wonderful addition to my blog's community. I am so glad to have a young single girl linking up her post. I am so thrilled to have you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All great ideas and someday you will be so glad you took the time to do these simple things. Time flies by so quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!