Pages

Sunday, August 11

Modesty: 3 Competing Voices


The following conversation takes place in my head at least once a week:

            " That blouse really isn't that bad... besides I'm only running to the pharmacy."

            " Just put on the shorts, I won't see anyone I know there."

            "It's a shame they shrunk in the wash...just wear them to get my money's worth."

Somehow, I never end up wearing the shrunken blouse or too-short shorts- my conscience simply won't let me. There are even times when I walk out the front door then turn around to change. My convictions are just too deep. Fortunately, I can answer the "Why Modesty?" questions with confidence even though there are days when it's just easier to throw on the comfortable spaghetti strap dress.

It can be hard to stick to modesty when the world pushes you in the other direction. The media, family, friends, and culture send so many messages about immodesty:

             "Be proud of your body- show it off."

             "Everyone else it wearing it. You look old fashioned in those clothes."

             "He'll recognize your inner beauty. If he can't control his lust it's his fault."

In my circle, I stick out a little with the clothes I wear, but that's okay because the Lord can work through me. Although over the course of a day the world sends out thousands of negative messages to God's few, but God's message on modesty is more powerful. The Lord convicts our hearts and gives us the strength to resist the world and honor his name through our modesty and humility. If we look in Scripture we find enough messages on Christ-like modesty to get us through a shrunken blouse, pile of dirty laundry, and morning tardiness:

             "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."

                  "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

              "Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! Not enough women care about modesty anymore. Our priest's sermon was actually on this topic today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. I've had a conversation with my husband about modesty. I've been very convicted about being more modest(I only like to wear skirts/dresses, to the knee, no cleavage), but I was worried that he would no longer find me attractive due to the variety of women that he can see in our town wearing much less even to the grocery store. He comforted me, and said that I was more beautiful, and that it was better for me to dress this way. That he doesn't want everyone to see me the way only he should, and that he likes the way I look now more than before because it shows that I respect myself, him, and God by what I wear.

    Thanks for this!

    Hannah J
    dreamingofperfect.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your encouraging post. I was worried I was the only one having the same thoughts you are.

    Visiting from Modest Mom Monday Blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone struggles with these thoughts, even those of us who have been modest for ten years. But good for you! Stay strong in your faith, and keep listening to the Lord! Many blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently have felt led to change my clothing choices to dresses/skirts only. If we can only get the message across to more ladies in our churches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am struggling with teaching modesty to my daughter. This world makes it hard. I went to JC Penny to buy clothes for back to school. The clothes were really bad. Anyway, I loved reading your post today. It blessed me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a good post on modesty. It does seem to get harder and harder each year to find clothes.Thanks for sharing. I dropped over from The Modest Mom to read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a battle for sure the world vs modesty sometimes for the young it becomes a battle
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great and thoughtful post...I face this decision a lot as well. My Hubby will say 'I don't see anything wrong with that" and in all honesty most times I don't either. Yet something within me just won't feel right. Sometimes you just have to go with your inner voice...that small whisper...
    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really interesting, reflective read. Thanks for sharing.

    It can be so easy to allow ourselves to justify certain wardrobe choices, even when we know they aren't necessarily presenting something to the outside world that we want presented. Convenience is a big one for me!

    Carly @ www.theblossomingbump.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Modesty is so close to my heart! Years ago I felt God asking me to cover up more, and I don't regret it! Though I do find it harder and harder to find clothes in my daughter's size that are modest or don't have skulls all over them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whenever I am tempted to compromise, or ignore the voice of the Lord, I remember a wise older woman's counsel, "To delay is to disobey." I've found that the more often I obey quickly, the easier it becomes. Remembering Who I really want to please makes it easier. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!