Pages

Friday, August 2

On My Bookshelf...


When I think about my journey with Christ and what influenced me the most toward Him, several books come to mind. Yes, the Bible is #1, but I'm talking about all those other books that may be dusty on the bookshelf, filled with bookmarks on the bedside table, or wedged underneath a coffee mug. Sorting through all those books can be tough. Which ones have sound doctrine? Which ones are pushing an agenda? Which ones send profits to a big atheist corporation?

When I sat alone in a dorm room with just Christ at my side, I wish someone had been there to hand me this stack of books. The top 5 are for everyone. The bottom 5 are for unmarried ladies. On my bookshelf you can find...

1. The Bible. Did you think it would be anything else?

2. The Way of the Master. Ray Comfort. Opened my eyes to the breadth of my sin and His Grace. Offers practical evangelizing tips.

3. God Doesn't Believe in Atheists. Ray Comfort. A similar, shorter version of The Way of the Master. Gives great practical proof of God's existence.

4. A Weed in the ChurchScott Brown. A basic explanation and support for Family Integrated Churches.

5. Heaven is for Real. Todd Burpo. A little boy's trip to heaven and back.

6. So Much More. By the Botkin Sisters. Explanation, support, and guidance for at-home daughters.

7. Joyfully at Home. By Jasmine Baucham. Practical encouragement for at home daughters.

8. Passion and Purity. By Elisabeth Elliott. How to bring your love life under Christ's control.

9. The Family Daughter. By Sarah Bryant. Spiritual and practical encouragement for at home daughters. Sarah's quarterly magazine King's Blooming Rose offers wonderful support and community for ladies of all ages.

10. Boy Meets Girl. Joshua Harris. Support for courtship and practical application.

11 comments:

  1. Good list - This would be a great post to share with my Cozy Book Hop, if you are interested. It's open all weekend - I hope you stop by

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this book list. I'm actually looking for a few good chapter books for kids ages 2-12, that will not compromise their Christian Faith. A neighbor from Fellowship Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tati,
      The Moody family series, written by Sarah Maxwell (the Maxwell family blogs at http://blog.titus2.com/ ) is a wonderful children's series (although older people love them, as well!)! They written very well, and full of good role models for young and old! There are eight of them, they could keep you busy for a while if you haven't read them yet :)! "The Bishop's Shadow" is another great family read aloud :).
      Blessings!

      Delete
  3. I love leads on good books. I've read some but not all. I will have to check this out! Thanks for the recommendations.  I'd  love to have you link this to Titus 2 Tuesday this week on Cornerstone Confessions.. I hope to see you there. 
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some great books. Passion and Purity is one of my all time favorite books. Have you read her book, The Shaping of a Christian Family? It is also a great read by Elisabeth Elliot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing all of these great resources! I love adding to my 'to-read' list! :)

    Thanks, again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your list of books. I read "Joyfully at Home" by Jasmine Baucham and thought it was an excellent book. Each girl, daughter has to make the decision to stay home or not just as I did. Thanks so much for sharing this over at WholeHearted Home this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!

    I just found your blog via a Pinterest link, and I'm so glad I did!

    I wanted to ask, based upon some of your links, if you are an ATI family, and if so, do you attend family conferences? We'll be in Big Sandy next month, and I'm so excited! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we aren't an ATI family, but they have some great resources! Thanks for stopping by the blog!

      Delete
  8. I love Passion and Purity, great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. KBR is a great magazine! ;D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!