Pages

Tuesday, September 17

Modesty of Spirit


As Christian ladies we spent much time reading, studying, and contemplating Christian modesty. But usually, the topic of modesty implies physical modesty. We forget that physical modesty is only half of God's modesty command. Physical modesty acts as a reminder to remain modest of spirit

1 Peter 3:3-4 "Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."

Proverbs 11:22 "Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman without discretion." 

But what exactly is modesty of spirit? "Moving Toward Modesty" offers this insightful definition:

"What is modesty? Modesty begins with an inward surrender to God, leading us to seek and follow Jesus' counsel. Modesty is the outward manifestation of the inward beauty of the soul, glowing with holiness, humility and purity. When we know Jesus and love Him, we are willing to find out what pleases Him. We become meek and lowly. That's true modesty. It spills over, from the inside out. It is God's work to give us a modest heart, and it is our part to harmonize our outward appearance with His inward transformation.The spirit of modesty is the spirit of meekness, which casts out all pride."

What then, are ways we can practice modesty of spirit? It begins with putting Jesus First, Others Second, and Yourself Last (JOY). Honoring God's commands with little acts reflect an inner spirit of modesty. Writing hand-written thank you notes, yielding to others in conversation, respecting the opinions of our fathers and mothers without complaint, and allowing others to dominate the conversation are a few ways. Personally, I struggle with being too opinionated and blunt. I say what's on my mind even when I shouldn't. We all struggle with a modesty of spirit issue. Determine what it is an pray, pray, pray! 



5 comments:

  1. Good Morning, I agree with you! We are always being trained and guided by the Holy Spirit. I believ God is not about behavior modification, but rather a circumcision of our hearts! And this is uncomfortable. I love your heart. Having a Blog is one of our ministry tools to love and encourage each other!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good advice this morning!! I have "Put Jesus First, Others Second, Yourself Last" on my kitchen wall near my sink. Thanks for sharing this post, Cameron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am working on a curriculum lesson modesty and you mirrored exactly what I have written. It all stems from the heart! Beautiful post! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly what I needed to read this evening! I had always thought of outward modesty, but you've given me a new insight to the Scriptures. This was such a wonderful post!

    Thank you so much for coming by and linking up with my Counting Our Blessings link up. I know you blessed me and you will bless my readers as they come by to read your post. I do the link up every Tuesday and I hope you'll be by to link up again!

    Blessings - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sounded just like me saying Personally, I struggle with being too opinionated and blunt. I say what's on my mind even when I shouldn't. We all struggle with a modesty of spirit issue."
    That right there is my struggle. I love my uncut hair, wearing feminine clothing only and all of those things, but...I struggle with being meek and quiet. My constant prayer is that God will be pleased with the words that I say and the content of my heart and thoughts.
    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!