Pages

Monday, May 5

Daughters at Home: Wearers of Many Hats

stay at home daughters: wearers of many hats

Several months ago I began attending a different church that better fits my convictions, subsequently meeting dozens of new people. After wrapping up my 'job' as a nanny, when people ask "what are you doing?" I explain that I work alongside my parents in the construction business and take care of my grandmother. Usually I say with a smile, "I wear a lot of hats."

This statement is probably true of most all daughters at home and stay at home mothers. As a society, we're familiar with the stay at home mom, but we aren't so familiar with the "stay at home daughter."  Imagine what a mother does in a day: cooking, cleaning, teaching, driving, landscaping, book keeping, sewing...


In many ways, the daughter at home does similar things as the stay at home mother, but with a ministry mindset. A young woman can focus on serving her family, church, and community.
          "An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world--how she can please her husband." - 1 Corinthians 7:34

So while the pictures of daughterhood share the same frame, the painting is different. Some daughters primarily tutor siblings, others are the public face of their father's business, and others work extensively with ministries outside of the home. The most common duties of a daughter include tutoring, house work, farm work, studying, cooking, running a home business, writing, teaching music, serving the elderly, babysitting, and assisting siblings. 

Are you a daughter at home? What fills your hours? Share in the comments below or email me and you may be featured in an upcoming series!

Related Posts

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I spend my days helping with housework; I help my parents in different projects they are working on- in the home with my mom and different "fix-it" things with my day when things need fixing in our house. We are working on painting the inside of our house and redecorating. I've been assigned the living room and am even responsible for designing and sewing curtains! Thankfully I have done it once already ;)

    I cook every other night and I am responsible for planning out those meals as well; I used to help teach my sister her home school and then I completely took over as her teacher, now she's almost done with her schooling so my mom has taken over as she completes her work; I am learning about gardening and my sister and I are going to have a garden this summer- I'm doing the herbs and some tea and she's doing the veggies and fruits; I help with the errands- we usually do those together; I have a part in helping save money by comparing prices, finding the best deals, going through the sales flyers; I do different hobby type things- blogging, sewing, crafting, writing, reading, cooking, baking; I am exploring and learning about healthy eating as well as learning how to cook new things from scratch. I also spend time studying the Bible and books about godly living, marriage, family, homeschooling- topics that will be a help and blessing in the future. My sister and I are thinking about starting a little blog shop and selling different crafty things we make. The majority of my time is spent serving my family and seeking to do so with a joyful heart, being content and thankful where the Lord has me, but at the same time diligently preparing and learning for my future as a wife, mother and keeper of my own home, Lord willing.

    I hope this wasn't too jumbled or too long. Hope you have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! May need you to condense into a few sentences if you're interested in sharing on the blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!