Pages

Wednesday, July 2

Why I live at home and don't pursue a career...



If you're a reader of this blog, you probably know that I didn't plan to end up where I am today. No, I didn't dream of living at home with no career, stable income, or worldly possibilities. For the first 18 years of my life I fully intended on graduating college, starting a career, and owning my own home. You must understand- I am stubbornly independent- to the extreme! It was after I committed my life to Christ that I began to reconsider where my career commitments lay. 

There are 2 main reasons I chose not to move out of the house and pursue a career: Scripture and my Sin inclinations.


  • Genesis 2:18 - Then the Lord said, "It is not good for man to be alone, therefore I will make a helper suitable for him."
  • Colossians 3:17- And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus
  • Proverbs 31:30- Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
  • Exodus 20:12- Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lordyour God is giving you
For me, pursuing a career outside the home would be for the sole purpose of gratifying my sin inclinations. I would pursue a career in order to prove to OTHERS and not GOD that I was capable of making money and attaining status. I would leave my home for the purpose of leaving my parents and avoiding dealing with my sin towards them, in effect dishonoring them. Learning to work out the difficulties of living together with them is excellent preparation conflict resolution in my marriage.

Unlike many children raised in a Godly home, I grew up with a poor relationship with my parents that was filled with un-communication, bitterness, and resentment. Every day that I purposefully give up my selfish desires for an 'independent' life, I'm rewarded with the benefits of self-sacrifice. God's word isn't limiting, it's LIMITLESS and I see every day the rewards of coming under God's authority. By living together, we have learned to communicate, by working together, I've learned to sacrifice my own timetable and desires. One day I will have to sacrifice my time, beauty, and desires for the up-bringing of my children and support of my husband... why not learn these lessons now? 

There are MANY days when I want to just throw in the towel and get a "real" job and move out - having the college degree my dad wanted me to complete has made the temptation even greater. But then I remind myself that if I were to do that, it would be because the world's voice and Satan's voice drowning out God's voice.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you are following God's leading Cameron! The home IS a great place to learn people skills. I think it's wonderful that you made the decision to stay at home and work out your relationship with your family, because it will be (aside from God, and your future spouse) the most important relationship in your whole life. They will be the ones who stick by you when all of your friends have failed, and the ones who hold you up in hard times.

    I'll be (and have been) praying for you! I am trying to strengthen my relationships with my family members as well, and it isn't always easy, but still very rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your prayers they are very needed right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!